This project is from the book, Country Living Merry and Bright: 301 Festive Ideas for Celebrating Christmas.
Rag Ball Ornaments
- styrofoam balls (all one size or in a variety of sizes)
- pins (straight pins with the colored balls on ends)
- fabric strips of any kind (use regular fabric patterns or Christmas fabric)
- felt shapes (cut them yourself or purchase from a fabric shop)
- ribbon or trim for hanging them on tree
Idea: Leave the ribbon loop off and display the balls in a decorative bowl.
Another project from I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas by Anna Getty. Not sure what purpose they could be used for, but they certainly look great displayed in a decorative bowl!
- Assorted matchboxes (use ones you have collected through the years or purchase sustainably made ones)
- Nontoxic glue
- Scraps of wrapping paper or tissue paper
- Sequins, bits of ribbon, tiny seashells, or other found items
Place a bit of glue on one side of the matchbox and decorate with paper, sequins, ribbons, or other items. Be careful not to let the glue drip onto the edges of the box where you strike the matches (this will not matter if the boxes contain no matches). Let dry completely.
Merry and Bright is published by Hearst Books--New York/London
I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas is published by Chronicle Books--San Francisco