Why Miracle on 34th Street is My Favorite Christmas Movie.
There are many wonderful Christmas movies, but my personal favorite is Miracle on 34th Street. Now mind you, I’m talking about the original 1947 version starring Maureen O'Hara, John Payne, Edmund Gwenn and Natalie Wood. I'm afraid that the later remakes just don't measure up for me. This movie is not just one of my favorite Christmas movies, it’s definitely in my top ten movies of any genre.
So here they are, my Top Ten Reasons Why I Think Miracle on 34th Street Is A Great Movie:
10. It’s got New York City and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. What more do we need?
9. Although it was made in 1947, it allows for the possibility of a woman having a career – not just a job, but a career that is important to her.
8. It’s so perfectly cast – not just the leads, but even the beleaguered judge, (Gene Lockhart), his cynical political advisor (a cigar-chomping William Frawley, better known as the "Fred" of Fred and Ethel from I Love Lucy) and the hapless prosecutor (Jerome Cowan).
7. Because in this movie, it’s the woman who is hard-headed and cynical, and the guy who is a soft-hearted sentimentalist.
6. Because as far as I’m concerned, Edmund Gwenn, who plays Kris Kringle , really IS Santa Claus.
5. Because no matter how many times I’ve seen it, I still get goose bumps at the end when….(I’m not sayin’ - just in case there is someone out there who has never seen it!)
4. John Payne – need I say more????
3. Because it pits the commercialism of Christmas (even in 1947!) against the True Spirit of Christmas (guess which one wins?)
2. Because it proves that having faith in the goodness of other people is not crazy.
1. Because it never fails to make me believe in the magic of Christmas.
Great post, Melissa! I too love this film. It's one of my favorites and we watch it every year. I agree with all your reasons. They are exactly what makes it so great. Thank you for sharing with us today!
Stay tuned for Rudolph Day in September (9/25). I will be kicking off the tour for Melissa's new book, The Christmas Village, here on The Christmas Spirit and on my book blog, The True Book Addict. There will also be a giveaway of the book on both blogs. Exciting, right?!
Again, to read more about the upcoming release, visit Melissa's blog HERE.
Always in spirit....